oops during dd

Author: Kevin
Subject: oops during dd
On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 15:17, Kevin wrote:
> Not sure if this is just a fluke, but I doubt it since it failed on four
> consecutive attempts before this success. Off to chase root cause now.
> ;-) I wonder what's in /var/log/messages?

Bingo. From /var/log/messages

---[snip]---
kernel: kernel BUG at buffer.c:559!
kernel: invalid operand: 0000

kernel: tulip ipt_REJECT iptable_filter ip_tables keybdev mousedev hid
input usb-uhci usbcore ext3 jbd

kernel: CPU: 0
kernel: EIP 0060:[<c014546a>] Not tainted
kernel: EFLAGS: 00010286
kernel:
kernel: EIP is at __insert_into_lru_list [kernel] 0x1e (2.4.20-8)

The third line is just a list of the loaded kernel modules. I don't
_think_ it points to cause. However, I don't recall seeing that line in
any previous oops screens in years past. Happily, it's been awhile.

Googling for "buffer.c:559" yields a few hits, but they are all related
to a 3ware raid card. I checked my motherboard docs (MSI 6378) and it
doesn't mention any 3ware chipsets. Hmmm.

I'm trolling through buffer.c now, but it's pretty vague stuff. Any
number of things could be triggering it.

...Kevin