dump

Author: Kevin Brown
Subject: dump
> Than it would seem having this in the fstab is useless as you can-t give it
> options.

> ~ > i've been looking through info fstab and it seems that the fifth field
> has ~ > something to do with a command called dump. Being the curious guy
> that I am I ~ > looke through man dump and that seemed to indicate that it
> backs up your ~ > entire system (with the space on your system you have).
> Where does it save ~ > it? Is this true?
> ~
> ~ Like tar, by default, dump writes to tape drive. See the -f switch in the
> ~ dump man page. Also, look at the restore man page.

man fstab

        The  fifth field, (fs_freq), is used for these filesystems
        by the dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need
        to  be dumped.  If the fifth field is not present, a value
        of zero is returned and dump will assume that the filesys-
        tem does not need to be dumped.

So, a value of 0 means don't backup this filesystem. Values larger than 0
should cause dump to perform backups of that filesystem. Reasons for this is
that you might have automated scripts that do full or incremental backups
shouldn't backup unneeded filesystems (like if /var was a ramdisk image, or /tmp).