Thoughts on a tivo I picked up

Author: Kurt Granroth
Subject: Thoughts on a tivo I picked up
On Dec 31, 2003, at 12:54 AM, Rob Wultsch wrote:
> I picked up a tivo over the weekend (Hughes HDVR2, directv series
> 2...) for 100 bucks and though I have yet to power it up, I have gone
> thought the box and was surprised at what I found in terms of software
> license crap.
> [snip]
> If anyone out there is much of a tivo person, I am wondering if it is
> easily possible to get it to act as a
> 1. DHCP server (the tivo should have more uptime and less time being
> fussed with than anything else)?
> 2. A samba server (so that my music may be played on any other
> computer without slowing down the hard drive/ taking up space)

Possible.. maybe. Easily possible.. no.

Both the Series 1 and Series 2 TiVOs use Linux as the operating system.
The former uses a PowerPC CPU while the latter uses a MIPs one. That
means that if you just take your binaries from your Linux box and
upload them to the TiVO, they won't work (assuming you are on a normal
x86 Linux box).

HOWEVER, you can get a cross compiler that will compile stuff for the
TiVO as long as you have the source. People have ported all sorts of
standard Unix utilities to TiVO that way.

That said, the x-compiler isn't a perfect solution. Once you get into
the realm of adding a DHCP or SAMBA server, it becomes quite a bit more
complicated due to all the dependency libraries. Keep in mind that the
TiVO Linux distro is quite stripped. Mind you, each TiVO comes with a
built-in DHCP *client* and it's not terribly difficult to get a SAMBA
*client*.. but I've never heard of anybody doing the server.

Some links:

http://tivoutils.sourceforge.net/
http://www.tivofaq.com/hack/

Have fun!