X over SSH!

Author: Sanjay Darisi
Subject: X over SSH!
--------------010405020300000509080706

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Sanjay Darisi wrote:
>

>>Wow!!! it works...Thank you Bryce. Btw, what additional things does the
>>-X switch do apart from setting the DISPLAY to localhost:10.0 . 'cos I
>>tried ssh without the -X switch for the second time and it works. So,
>>does it have some kind of cookie setup somewhere or anything to do with
>>.Xauthority file?
>>

>Probably your ssh (and sshd) is already configured to do X forwarding.
>(That is what I do by default with some remote systems. This reminds me
>that I want to try some of those new X compression or other techniques for
>speeding up X.)

Could you tell me how do u configure ssh for X forwarding, just to know
for future use? Just setting the ForwardX11 to yes??

>>And how are the resources utilized? For few programs I get the shell
>>prompt back (like mozilla) and for many programs that I executed I
>>didn't get the prompt back. So, If I invoke an application called A,
>>should this application be on the local machine for the display to come up?
>>

>If you want your prompt back then background the command with an ampersand
>"&" at the end of the line.
>
>It does not need to be on local machine too. (The local machine is the X
>server; the remote machine is running your applications which are called X
>clients.)

May be I didn't phrase my question well. It's not like I want the prompt
back. Why is it different ? When I say mozilla it brings up the mozilla
on local machine and gives the prompt back but when I say xcalc it
brings up calculator and waits for it to terminate. I know how to put it
in background. How come its doing it for mozilla and not for xcalc? Or
may be its not a serious issue to be thought about :-)

> Jeremy C. Reed
> http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

Sanjay.

--------------010405020300000509080706

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:<br>
cite="">
    <pre wrap="">Wow!!! it works...Thank you Bryce. Btw, what additional things does the
-X switch do apart from setting the DISPLAY to localhost:10.0 .  'cos I
tried ssh without the -X switch for the second time and it works. So,
does it have some kind of cookie setup somewhere or anything to do with
.Xauthority file?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Probably your ssh (and sshd) is already configured to do X forwarding.
(That is what I do by default with some remote systems. This reminds me
that I want to try some of those new X compression or other techniques for
speeding up X.)

  </pre>
Could you tell me how do u configure ssh for X forwarding, just to know
for future use? Just setting the ForwardX11 to yes??<br>
 cite="">
  <pre wrap=""></pre>
    <pre wrap="">And how are the resources utilized? For few programs I get the shell
prompt back (like mozilla) and for many programs that I executed I
didn't get the prompt back. So, If I invoke an application called A,
should this application be on the local machine for the display to come up?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
If you want your prompt back then background the command with an ampersand
"&amp;" at the end of the line.

It does not need to be on local machine too. (The local machine is the X
server; the remote machine is running your applications which are called X
clients.)

</pre>
May be I didn't phrase my question well. It's not like I want the
prompt back. Why is it different ? When I say mozilla&nbsp; it brings up the
mozilla on local machine and gives the prompt back but when I say xcalc
it brings up calculator and waits for it to terminate. I know how to
put it in background. How come its doing it for mozilla and not for
xcalc? Or may be its not a serious issue to be thought about :-)<br>
cite="">
<pre wrap=""> Jeremy C. Reed
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://bsd.reedmedia.net/">http://bsd.reedmedia.net/</a>