Merry Christmas

Author: Lee Einer
Subject: Merry Christmas
Wishes for a merry Christmas do not offend me in the least.

The statement which keyed my response was

"If anybody gets offended by this...so what . Deal with it, we're in
the US of A and Christmas is celebrated here."

> we're in the US of A and Christmas is celebrated here.

Is at best a partial truth, as in this country, we are free to celebrate
as we choose, and many choose something other than Christmas. If you
wish to declare an official national religion, there are places where
that type of thing is done, but at present, this country is not one of
those places.

The statement-

> If anybody gets offended by this...so what . Deal with it

Rather than a sincere, kind expression of Christmas cheer, seems more
along the lines of provocation. I don't normally hear people saying,
"Merry Christmas, and if that offends you, so what, deal with it." If I
did hear something of the sort, I would think it both peculiar and
belligerent, regardless of whether the holiday spoken of were
Christmas, Hannukah, Ramadan, or Madeline Murray O'Hare day.

And a Happy Linux New Year to you all.

(back on topic once again...)