Interesting Observation, RH 8.0, Samba 3.0

Author: George Gambill
Subject: Interesting Observation, RH 8.0, Samba 3.0
> From: "Derek Neighbors" <>
>

> Do you have anything in cron script that might do things that
> access the
> disk. Like udpatedb?
>
> -Derek

Derek,

Good point,

"Service crond status" shows cron running. When I loaded the OS I didn't
remember setting this up? 8-(

"emacs /etc/crontab" shows:

    SHELL =....
    PATH=...
    MAILTO=...
    HOME=/

    # run-parts
    01 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
    02 4 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
    03 4 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
    04 4 1 * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

These seem tobe running at 1,2,3,4 in the morning (as I read the book
"Running Linux" - O'Reilly).

The unusual activity took place just before noon and the computer's clock
(via GUI) shows to be about 10 min fast.

> From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <>
>

> Maybe some cron jobs?
>
> > 2) Any ideas as to how I can determine why all the disk activity?
>
> ps auxwwww
>
> lsof
>
>    Jeremy C. Reed
>    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

Jeremy,

"ps auxwwww" shows a lot of good stuff. Unfortunately, I re-booted
(paranoia) before I posted the issue.

I think I will save this for the next encounter.

Thanks

> From: Kevin <>
>
> I'll bet it is updatedb or makewhatis or logrotate or
> something similar
> doing it's job. These janitorial functions are usually configured as
> cron jobs.
>
> man cron
> man crontab
> man anacron
> man anacrontab
>
> ls -halF /etc/cron.*
>

> ...Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks

"ls -halF /etc/cron.* | more" shows the contents of the files (see Derek
above):

/etc/cron.hourly
/etc/cron.daily
/etc/cron.weekly
/etc/cron.monthly

most of which looks something like:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 277 Aug 28 2002 0anacron*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 414 Apr 28 2002 makewhatis.cron*

but I am still stuck on the timing, just before noon instead of the wee
hours in the morning.

> From: Kevin <>
>

> Also, when the disk is thrashing check the `top` command to
> see what is
> working so hard.
>
> Note the time of day it happens (and/or day of week) and check for a
> matching entry in the appropriate /etc/cron.* file. If you are
> unfamiliar with cron, there are plenty of web resources
> describing cron
> syntax like: http://www.tech-geeks.org/contrib/mdrone/cron-howto.html
>
> For example, my box is setup to execute jobs in the /etc/cron.daily
> directory at 04:02 every morning...
>
>  # cat /etc/crontab | grep daily
>    02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily

> At that time every morning cron will launch these jobs...
>
>  # ls -hF /etc/cron.daily/
>    logrotate*
>    makewhatis.cron*
>    collect-honeypot*
>    tmpwatch*
>    tripwire-check*
>    snort-check*

Kevin,

This kind of makes sense in a convoluted sort of way. I shut the system
down every night such that these jobs may never get to run. 8-(

This morning I didn't boot the system till around 10:00. If these systems
were to run from the "last boot" instead of the 1,2,3,4 AM indicated by the
commands in crontab (is that a possible feature), this would explain it.

I think I may need to let this thing run all night from time to time.

Thanks

> From: "Thomas Cameron" <>
>
> Most of Microsoft's desktop OS's periodically index available
> filesystems.
> It is very possible that a Windows box (you laptop, if that's
> what it is
> running) is just checking the contents of the shared filesystem.
>
> Also, Linux itself does things like flushing filesystem cache pretty
> regularly, which causes disk activity.
>
> Are there any Samba or OS log entires during the activity
> time? What does
> netstat -a show you? How about top?
>
> Thomas

Thomas,

I never thought about windows being involved. The laptop is Win2K