laptop freezing

Author: Nathan England
Subject: laptop freezing
I just got my new laptop and I installed the 2.4.23 kernel on it.
Everything seems to be going great with KDE 3.1.94.

But I am having a problem with freezing. I'm assuming something is polling
something somewhere, but I can't figure out what.

When I boot with Knoppix it doesn't apear to be freezing. It seems to freeze
about every 5 seconds, and only for half a second. But it's quite irritating
when trying to type or work, or do anything!

Anyone know of anything like this? I'm thinking it might be the bm4400 nic
driver. That's the only thing I can really see is not available in Knoppix
but available in my kernel.

P4 2.4
512 Ram
Intel Extreme Graphics pulling 16mb from system ram.
cdrw/dvd combo
Broadcom 4400 10/100 nic
ac97 intel audio

Any ideas?