apt-get help...

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: apt-get help...
Derek Neighbors wrote:
> Running Knoppix as a production scares the hell out of me. I would
> suggest changing to all Unstable sources lines and then doing and
> dist-upgrade, but that is just me.

> P.S. IMHO installing Knoppix is a bad idea, it was designed to be a demo
> distribution not a production hard disk install. I strongly suggest
> installing Woody if you like Debian and let backports.org become your
> friend. That or run Sid and install apt-listchanges and apt-listbugs.

I would sadly have to agree with you (almost) on both counts Derek. I do have a
production server running on a Knoppix HD install and it has made me a bit
nervous and I will most definately be avoiding that in the future ... I haven't
had any problems per se, but after working with it for a while I have realized
what a slippery slope it is. All of my external services are downgraded to
stable (you hate this mixed environment right?) and only security is in the
sources.list.

When I find a convenient way to get unstable on a workstation then I might use
that rather than Knoppix. But a Knoppix -> Unstable is the quickest way to
unstable I have found, and it really ends up being pretty decent. The
Knoppixness quickly disappears (there may be a few packages left over eventually
which you can carefully extricate).

I look forward to Debian's installer improvements.

Austin