O.T.American programmers at Indian Wages ?

Author: Vaughn Treude
Subject: O.T.American programmers at Indian Wages ?
> My reaction was that $40,000 isnt the cost of hiring an Indian programmer.
> 40,000 includes a lot of overhead. $40,000 is the cost to an American
> wanting to hire an Indian programmer through a middle-man.
>
> Also, it's important to realize that the $45,000 isn't the W2 rate--its the
> total payroll expense for the firm.
>
> Still top notch Indian programmer, aprox. $10,000/year I've heard--US
> programmer W2-$25,000 maybe, still not bad for the US programmer.

Not bad? It really sucks compared to what I was making just a couple of
years ago. Of course, the weak economy is partly to blame, and the internet
bubble, which left the market with a glut of our kind of talent. Another
problem is the overvalued dollar. I bet a person can live like a king over
in India for $10K worth of rupees.

Vaughn Treude