s I see you picked up there lingo!udo

Author: Bart Garst
Subject: s I see you picked up there lingo!udo
On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 10:39, Michael Havens wrote:

> It seems that now whenever I type in 'visudo' I get the 'swap file' error.
> Should I erase the /etc/sudoers file (I already tried erasing the .tmp file
> but it persists and when I type in visudo I get the /etc/sudoers.tmp even
> though I deleted it.
> Here is what I am thinking:
> 1- copy the contents of sudoers
> 2- rm /etc/sudoers*
> 3- visudo
> 4- put the contents of what I have copied into the new file.
>
> Does this sound about right?

No, don't delete the /etc/sudoers file!

The error message tells you the name of the swap file
(/etc/.sudoers.tmp.swp). This file was left behind by vi (I'm guessing).
You can safely delete the swap file and your problem should go away.

Pay particular attention to the leading 'dot.' ('.') in the file name.
This dot indicates the file is a 'hidden' file.

(end of reply)
Bart