More Gentoo usability issues :(

Author: Bryce C
Subject: More Gentoo usability issues :(
--=-AlYcL5m4pk2QEDXoKZjk

Re the sound, of course /dev/dsp is in use because esd has the lock on
it and is using it to play the audio. Try exiting logging in to the
"Failsafe" session and running the gnome sound recorder. If that still
doesn't work, run `fuser -v /dev/dsp` to find what PIDs are using the
device and kill them, then try. Also, check your mixer levels. Failing
all that, check the hardware. How? I can't really help you there.