How do I add POP3 accessible accounts without adding user ac…

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: How do I add POP3 accessible accounts without adding user accounts on my system?
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:

> Title pretty much says it all. I want to have multiple email accounts on
> my system, but not simply aliases which point to existing user accounts.
> But I don't want to have to create new user accounts for each of those.
> Is there a way to do this? I'm using postfix for my MTA. Another
> solution I was looking at was maybe creating user accounts that didn't
> have a home directory or login shell (/bin/false). Would that be the
> solution?

I had that same problem and desire a few years ago. I patched gnu-pop3d
around 10 times to provide a POP3 server that can use different passwd
files and different mail directories for each hostname. gnu-pop3d became
dead and so a couple years ago, I forked it and started maintaining
vm-pop3d. You may want to geive it a try. I use it with Exim, but others
use it with postfix.

http://www.reedmedia.net/software/virtualmail-pop3d/
It also has information (and links to more) about using it with postfix.

The CVS has the latest code.

A patch against the old version is at
http://www.reedmedia.net/software/virtualmail-pop3d/vm-pop3d-1.1.7e.diff.gz

Over the past couple years, now a few other POP3 servers do similar.

By the way, I also configure my MTA to have separate aliases files for
each hostname.

Jeremy C. Reed
http://bsd.reedmedia.net/