Not your typical X question...

Author: Kevin
Subject: Not your typical X question...
I am trying to connect the svideo port of my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T23)
to my television. I must be missing a setting in the XF86Config-4
file. I am using XFree86 Version 4.2.1.

The laptop has an "S3 SuperSavage IX/C SDR" video chipset. The
's3switch tv' command works fine, but I only see the top left corner of
the desktop on the tv, unless I have the resolution set to 640x480.
Hardly usable. The gnome icons are huge and every webpage turns into a
scroll-fest. ;-)

I tried this on two different televisions (Sony 51" 16:9 HDTV and Sony
29" 4:3 tube) with the same result.

Here are the relevant parts of my XF86Config-4 file. As you can see, I
don't have any Monitor section specifically for the television. The
Monitor section below works for the laptop's lcd screen.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        HorizSync   31.5 - 82.0
        VertRefresh 40-150
        Option "dpms"
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier   "S3 Savage4"
        Driver       "savage"
        VendorName   "S3 Savage4"
        BoardName     "S3 Savage4"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
    Identifier   "Screen0"
        Device       "S3 Savage4"
        Monitor      "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    Subsection "Display"
            Depth      24
                Modes      "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

How would I go about configuring this for the television?

...Kevin