Gentoo, X11 4.3.0 and nVidia drivers on an SN41G2

Author: Emmanuel Gravel
Subject: Gentoo, X11 4.3.0 and nVidia drivers on an SN41G2
I've been installing Gentoo over the weekend and finished installing
XFree86. emerge'd the nvidia accelerated drivers and set opengl to use
that. The SN41G2 comes with onboard nForce2 chipset that has an
integrated GeForce 4 MX. Both the nv driver and nvidia driver can use it
"properly".

The issue with the nv driver is no hardware acceleration, but when I add
the mesa glx drivers, I get the "XFree86-DRI missing" error, even with
DRI enabled in XF86Config (loaded as a module, and the DRI section
enabled with mode 0666).

When loading the nvidia driver and setting opengl to use the accelerated
glx lib, glxgears goes quite a bit faster and no complaints about
missing DRI, but it won't give me the full 1280x1024 that nv gives me
(complains about memory bandwidth issues, and granted, it's 64MB of
shared system memory, but still...) so it drops to 1024x768 with virtual
desktop of 1280x1024. Plus, when I kill the X server, it never resets
the video mode properly for the virtual consoles, and the screen is
mostly black with green rectangles.

I'd obviously rather use the accelerated driver if I could, but with the
lower res and strange behaviour, if I can't find a solution, then I'd
rather stick with something that works. However, I'd want to have 3D
acceleration working, even if it is software-only, so I'd need to figure
out why I'm having DRI issues with nv.

Has anyone seen these issues before? Or had found solutions to either
problem?

Thanks!

Emmanuel