GUI Development Libraries

Author: Kurt Granroth
Subject: GUI Development Libraries
On Nov 28, 2003, at 12:26 AM, Nathan England wrote:
> Has anyone come across any comparative articles discussing benefits of
> Gtk+,
> QT, and the benefits of one over the other?
> I'm interested in any good articles. Any recommendations?
> I'm not talking about KDE vs. Gnome. I want just the library
> information.

There are lots of reasons for going with one or the other.. but in my
experience, it always comes down to the these two:

1. Gtk+ is C, Qt is C++
2. Gtk+ is free to use for commercial projects, Qt isn't

For instance, I tend to always gravitate towards C++ given a choice.
I've done some Gtk+ programming over the years (mostly back in the day
during my attempts at cross-desktop interoperability) and I've always
found it extremely frustrating. It's a PITA to do any kind of
programming using Gtk+ while Qt makes it nearly trivial... to me. I've
run across scores of people that had the exact opposite reaction,
though. C is the only language to use while C++ just adds unnecessary
cruft. I haven't run across all that many people that have liked BOTH
Gtk+ and Qt, though.

Really, both a very full-featured. Get a few tutorials on programming
for both and try them out yourselves. I'd bet that you'd discover
pretty quickly which one you preferred.