gnUser linux

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: gnUser linux
On Nov 22, 2003, at 5:30 PM, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> I did not say ONLY Bruce was interested in this . I said, that Bruce
> was responding to things happening in the community. Currently, the
> bigger vendors are shying away from the desktop or trying to build
> proprietary extensions to their distributions, thus opening a huge void
> ~ that a number of community projects have started to discuss attacking
> as well as pissing off a lot of developers.

As someone correctly pointed out when I talked about Red Hat abandoning
the "desktop", they certainly aren't doing that. They have a product
aimed squarely at the corporate desktop. The desktop - sever axis for
characterizing the market and the corporate/enterprise -
consumer/commodity axis are fairly orthogonal and are becoming more so
as individuals start running servers for non-commercial purposes.