Help with dd needed

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Help with dd needed
I have to deal with a win 98 computer that a hard drive that is too small/loud.
I have a 40 gig drive that I would like to repace the old drive with.

I would like to boot from my BBC linux disk (like knoppix) and copy the entire
disk over to a 8 gig partition and then create another fat partiton of 32 gig to
get around the limits of fat32.

My concern is I do not know how to use dd to copy the boot sector from one drive
to the next and I am getting next to nothing from the man page. Assuming that
the old drive is hda and the partiton is and the new drive is hdb what will the
command be?

While I am it I would just need to use the recursive option on cp to get
everything to copy across corectly?

Thanks for the consideration.