Download speeds

Author: ec
Subject: Download speeds
Federal regs limit it to around 5.6k on phone lines.
The 'burst' you get is due to some 'choker' device not
detecting it for a few seconds. I get the same.

Now 'for the rest of the story'. IF some jerk on the
line next to yours wants a third line in his
house/apartment whatever, the phone company will come
and put a splitter on YOUR line and there is NOTHING
that you have a right to complain about because all
that is 'required' by law is voice which requires only
around 10kb, (1.xKB) of band width to be to your phone
lines. I went thru this hassle a few years ago!! Had
to and change apartments to get better service. Seems
in my case, the wire went bad and rather than replace
it for the other person, they split my service to
where I could only connect at 28.8kb..3.3KB.

I was told that they can split a line (multiplex) it
four ways so in effect, the phone becomes a 14.4 modem
line max!!! It is cheaper than troubleshooting the
'old bad wire' and this is their policy, besides, this
way, maybe you will get tired of slowness and
subscribe to dsl of which they get atleast a cut for
the use of the wire if nothing else!!! Rip off jerks!!

--- Michael Havens <> wrote:
> I am on dialup and am upgrading my system. Synaptic
> (the GUI updater) tells me
> that I am downloading this at around 5,000 bytes per
> second and that at this
> speed it will take about 4 1/2 hours to complete.
> Now sometimes the download
> speed will increase to 10,000 bytes per second
> (which decreases the
> completion time considerably) but that only lasts
> for a couple of seconds. I
> was wonderring if there was anything I could do to
> keep the download speed at
> 10K or if my provider could do something to keep it
> at that speed?
> --

=====
Cyclists should expect and demand safe