Header problem on old RH version

Author: Bart Garst
Subject: Header problem on old RH version
Try installing kernel-source-2.2.16-22.rpm from RH7.0 Binary-Disk 1.

<excerpt taken from `rpm -qi kernel-source`>
Description :
The kernel-source package contains the source code files for the Linux
kernel. These source files are needed to build most C programs, since
they depend on the constants defined in the source code. The source
files can also be used to build a custom kernel that is better tuned
to your particular hardware.
</excerpt>

This is not the same as the linux-2.2.16.tar.gz found in the kernel
SRPM.

Just a note, *.src.rpm files were meant to be built with `rpmbuild`.

Try it, its pretty cool. Pick any *.src.rpm and (as root) run `rpmbuild
--rebuild file.src.rpm`. It will create all the required rpm files and
place them in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386.

Example:
'libxml2-2.4.23-1.src.rpm' will create:
'libxml2-2.4.23-1.i386.rpm' AND
'libxml2-devel-2.4.23-1.i386.rpm' AND
'libxml2-python-2.4.23-1.i386.rpm'

Building srpms helps alleviate the dependency problems (the operative
word here is helps).

Bart