troubleshooting tape

Author: der.hans
Subject: troubleshooting tape
Am 08. Nov, 2003 schw=E4tzte Bob Holtzman so:

> [root@localhost /]# tar cvf /home /dev/ht0
> tar: /home: Cannot open: Is a directory

This is still backwards.

tar cvf /dev/ht0 /home

You're first post had the order correct, but /root/home doesn't exist and
you wanted /home.

> [root@localhost holtzm]# mt -f /dev/ht0 status
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=3D0, block number=3D0, partition=3D0.
> Tape block size 22790 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
> Soft error count since last status=3D0
> General status bits on (0):

Normally you get some stuff on the last line all in CAPS.

Look at www.LinuxTapeCert.org for more help on using tapes with Linux.

http://www.linuxtapecert.org/ATAPI.html

I believe that will allow you to access the tape as a SCSI device at
/dev/nst0 and /dev/st0. That's a much better way of going right now.

BTW, if you just bought this and can still take it back please do. Look at
the OnStream drives instead. Similar costs ( a little less expensive for
equivalent drives ), but more reliable. I also suggest sporting the extra $=
$
to go SCSI.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  The only way for a woman to change a man
#  is if he's wearing Depends[TM] - der.hans