apt-get revert

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: apt-get revert
Alexander Henry wrote:
| libsensors-1debian1 does not exist in the apt-get database for all three
| distros.

| Anyway, too late. I switched to Mandrake 9.2 for the work box, and I'm
| not going to do a dist-upgrade on my home box for a while. I have some
| real work to do here and a wedding to attend this weekend.

Gack. Another fashion faux pas. I know some on this list like to say
use apt-get dist-upgrade all the time. However, I hate to see people
leave Debian because they do dangerous things. :( Really in my opinion
you should not be using dist-upgrade unless you are moving from say
stable to testing or testing to sid etc. or you have a specific reason
why you know you need to be using it.

Do a $man apt-get... Below is a quick major difference.

upgrade:
Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved
~ and upgraded; under *no circumstances* are currently installed
packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and
installed. New versions of currently installed packages that *cannot*
~ be upgraded without changing the install status of another package
will be left at their current version.

dist-upgrade:
will *attempt* to upgrade the most important packages at the expense
of less important ones if necessary.

The key here is that dist-upgrade tries to be "smart". As we all know
artificial intelligence is less than perfect. So sometimes it's too
clever for its own good. Thus imho should be applied with caution.

- -Derek