mysql/msyslog help

Author: Scott H
Subject: mysql/msyslog help
Perhaps someone on this list is familiar enough
with mysql to help. I am using msyslog ("modular
syslog", a replacement for syslog) in order to
send syslog data to mysql. The final goal is a
centralized logging system. I haven't been able
to get any help yet from the msyslog or mysql
lists - here's my plight...

I am trying this on RH9. I originally had
msyslogd logging successfully to mysql, so I know
it works. But I need to be able to view the logs
via http, and after having trouble setting up
apache with PHP support and the tie-in to mysql,
I decided to use XAMPP (formerly LAMPP), which
installs all the components I need apache, PHP,
mysql, PHPAdmin (and other items) as a package.
(I uninstalled mysql and apache first.)

Very nice but now I can't get msyslog to connect
to mysql. In the logs, I have:

om_mysql: sending messages to localhost, database
msyslog, table syslogTB.
om_mysql_write: Lost connection! [Can't connect
to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysq

That last line is truncated in the log, every
time I try it. I presume it would complete with
the socket file, which would be defined in my
/etc/my.conf:

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Can anyone tell me where to start on this?
Thanks!!
Scott

.

=====
--

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
      -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

.