Linux Advocacy

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Linux Advocacy
On Nov 4, 2003, at 10:26 AM, Craig White wrote:
> ----
> I don't generally proselytize - I think that this is a peculiar
> Macintosh affliction and don't want to see this chip on the shoulder
> mentality permeate Linux. Linux is a choice - a Free Software choice -
> at least sometimes.

I used to proselytize a lot. I was a response to requests for help from
Windows users when I hardly ever used Windows myself. Now I just
request money.

> Many Windows users start to get it with each new computer / OS update,
> things break, they need to buy a new - ever more expensive version of
> Microsoft Office, etc. and as each of the proprietary software
> developers requires activation, the ability to borrow a friends copy or
> take a copy home from work to install on the home computer becomes a
> non-option, people start to get the idea of how much the software that
> they use actually costs, the alternatives look more and more
> attractive.

With respect, I just don't see this. The ordinary users that I know
think that Windows, and to a large extent Office, is an inherent part
of the computer. They simply use what came bundled and never consider
upgrading. When they upgrade it's because that's what was bundled with
new hardware. As long as the price of the new computer with bundled
software is less tan the price of the old one, they think they are
getting a deal.

It's business users who understand about the price of MS software. A
growing business will buy new computers and they will come with new
versions of Windows/Office. These will have default formats that are
incompatible with the old versions. Then the business owner will look
at what it costs to upgrade his existing computers to match the new
ones and realize that the software upgrade costs almost as much as the
new computers.

> See it's not the BSOD's, the security breaks, the viruses, the general
> slowdown after installing program after program that will cause Windows
> users to switch...it's always about the $$$ The funny thing is that
> people don't understand how an OS, how software can be free because
> they
> only see corporations that do this stuff and why would a company do all
> that for free? People don't generally understand this, and they don't
> trust what they don't understand. I often try to open their eyes when I
> hear them talk about a borrowed copy of Microsoft Office, I tell them
> go to OpenOffice.org and download a legal copy for free.

I agree with you here but I think that's just sad. If the only reason
people are going to Linux is because it's getting too hard to steal
from Microsoft, that says something pretty horrible about Linux.