SuSE 9.0: The Good and the Bad

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: SuSE 9.0: The Good and the Bad
On Nov 1, 2003, at 12:48 PM, Robert Wultsch wrote:

> I love debian, but I need some features that just work on SuSE. I am
> exploring the idea of using "apt for SuSE".
>
> BTW I was able to get the wireless card working so I am happy for the
> time being.

With Red Hat dropping out of the desktop market, SuSE may be the best
hope of there ever being a popular Linux for ordinary people. I do
understand why you like apt better than SuSE's version of RMP.

I just tried the point and click version of RPM in Red Hat. It was
extremely slick. I got a dialog box asking for my root password and and
then a nice green progress bar. Had it actually installed the package,
I would have been quite impressed. Unfortunately, I need to resort to
the command line to get RPM to actually work.