History of 802.11 w/Linux

Author: Deepak Saxena
Subject: History of 802.11 w/Linux
Anyone here been using 802.11 stuff with Linux long enough to know
the historical reasons for having so many different drivers:

- HostAP
- Standard in-kernel
- wlan-ng

I'm using the HostAP drivers for an embedded platform that's going
to act as an AP, but given that wlan-ng also supports host-mode
operation, what's the advantage of one over the other? Anyone know..?

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena -

"To eliminate the concept of waste means to design things - products,
 packaging, and systems - from the very beggining on the understanding
 that waste does not exist" - William McDonough & Michael Braungart,
                 From Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things