version problem in bash

Author: Nathan England
Subject: version problem in bash

I have directory full of text files. I keep adding things to them, but=20
everytime I add something, I create a new text file with a new version=20
number.
I started out with stuff-1, then went to stuff-2, stuff-3 and so on.
But I've also added smaller things, so I made smaller revisions using 1.1 a=
nd=20
1.2 upto 1.9 then going to 2.0

Well, my problem is, now I'm up to 4.1.4 and I want to use a script to grab=
=20
the newest file, grep something out of it, and exit. I want to know the=20
fastest way for bash to figure out the newest version (biggest number?) an=
d=20
use that one.

Currently I am doing
'ls | tail -n1'
which correctly outputs the newest version, but it just seems sloppy?
What are better ways to do it?

=2D --=20

Nathan England

Arcanum Linux !
nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id:

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Todays Fortune:

All the world's a VAX,
And all the coders merely butchers;
They have their exits and their entrails;
And one int in his time plays many widths,
His sizeof being _=08N bytes.  At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the Regent's arms.
And then the whining schoolboy, with his Sun,
And shining morning face, creeping like slug
Unwillingly to school.
        -- A Very Annoyed PDP-11