rdesktop through VPN

Author: Charlie Bullen
Subject: rdesktop through VPN
Hello, I am trying to establish a terminal server session with a windows
2k server using rdesktop through a VPN. \

Steps taken so far

1. I installed the pptp client from http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/.
This works fine. I can establish a tunnel to the pptp server. This is a
linux box running sme server 5.6. It works great.

2. Pinged the pptp server using both its external and internal IP
addresses. My local area network uses 192.168.2.xxx and the lan at the
remote site uses 192.168.0.xxx .

3. Tried pinging other boxes on the 192.168.2.xxx remote network. This
did not work.

4. Established a telnet session to the pptp server using it's internal
ip address 192.168.0.1. (telnet set to only accept connections from
within the lan. is this aceptable security?) From the pptp server I can
then ping any box on its lan, but can not ping to any box on my lan.

5. installed rdesktop with no problem. When I try to conncect to the Win
2k terminal server having IP address 192.168.0.10, through the tunnel,
it won;t connect, eventually timing out.

From the fact that I can telnet into the pptp server using its local IP
address and then ping boxes on its subnet, I conclude that the tunnel is
connected. I can not figure out why rdesktop isn't connecting. I have
used rdesktop before but never though a VPN .

I hate to admit it, but the box that I am using locally for this dual
boots and when I'm on the windows side, I can connect to the pptp server
and establish a terminal server session that way.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Charlie Bullen