can't receive e-mail

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: can't receive e-mail
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:10:51PM -0400, wrote:
/_I am setting up an e-mail server.
/_Everthing is working great sending out.
/_But I cannot receive e-mail. (using sendmail)
/_
/_The error messages from the bounced e-mails looks
/_like this:
/_
/_ ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
/_<>
/_
/_ ----- Transcript of session follows -----
/_<>... Deferred: Connection timed out with mail.seeop.net.
/_Message could not be delivered for 6 hours
/_Message will be deleted from queue
/_
/_
/_
/_my mx record and A are OK in DNS.
/_
/_I have already posted my sendmail.mc file here
/_it was told it looked OK. (Thanks for that!)
/_
/_What could be causing my system to reject
/_incoming mail?

Outgoing mail is handled by your Sendmail (smtp).

In order to recieve mail from your account, you must have
a POP or IMAP server installed.

If mail isn't sent correctly, then look and see if you need
a smarthost (Cox res. customers do)...

I know I was brief, but HTH

-mike