Funny network performance problem

Author: Frank Davenport
Subject: Funny network performance problem
On Tuesday 21 October 2003 09:33, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:
Hi,

Although I am a Linux newbie, I may be of some use here. After over thir=
ty=20
years in the telecom biz, (much of it in/at the physical layer, i.e. old =
Bell=20
System guy), my experience has been that the cabling and the installation=
of=20
the cabling are definitely factors that affect performance. I Googled=20
"cabling standards" and came up with thousands of experts.

The part about Linux to Windows transfers being faster than the other way=
=20
around, (if I didn't get that backwards), cannot be a result of the wirin=
g. =20
Same physical layer right?

Frank Davenport, President (retired)
American Cable & Telephone Inc. (also retired)
AZ Contractor's license 105250 (inactive)
=20
> It's standard cat5. And it's not cable that I crimped myself, it's
> factory-made. However, I'm sure their quality control was only for
> 10BaseT since I got the cables with an old 3Com networking kit 5 years
> ago (10BT hub + cables + 2x3c509 NIC's).
>
> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 08:23, Carl Parrish wrote:
> > Silly question I don't know much about this but I'm trying to get
> > 100BaseTX to work in my internal network. Are you using CAT 5 or bett=

er
> > cable?
> >
> > On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 01:03, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:
> > > I recently purchased a dual-speed full-duplex switch (TrendWare bra=

nd,
> > > got it relatively cheap). Decided to check the speed by transfering
> > > large files (more than 100MB). Linux to Windows, I get 2.4-2.8 MB/s=

=2E
> > > Windows to Linux, I get 0.8 MB/s at best. I've tried transfering on=

ly
> > > from one to the other, then full duplex transfers, and I get the sa=

me
> > > numbers.
> > >
> > > Now, to start with, 2.8MB/s is better than what I'd get at 10Mb/s b=

ut
> > > it's not quite as fast as I expected it to be. But the other side o=

> > > the equation is pretty bad. Both cables between the computers and t=

he
> > > switch are the same, they're fully molded, factory quality, I got t=

hem
> > > when I purchased my first (10Mb/s) hub. Network cards are Kingston
> > > KNE100TX on the Windows system, and Intel EtherExpress 100's for th=

> > > Linux system (two, the Linux system is my firewall). Obviously all
> > > transfers of those sizes are done on the internal IP's only, and us=

ing