Uptime: was Re: ancient laptop memory?

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: Uptime: was Re: ancient laptop memory?
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, KevinO wrote:

> Mandrake 7.0 kernel 2.2.14-15mdksmp running on dual P3-600MHz box with UPS.
> 798 days uptime (since last reboot)

That is amazing.

> The uptime counter rolls over at 498 days. This one is reading 300 days now.

Okay that explains it.

Also see the NOTE at
http://counter.li.org/reports/uptimestats.php

The longest I got was 497 days (maybe a 2.0.36 kernel). I can't remember
if it locked up or if it rebooted on a kernel panic. (I didn't see console
messages since I was remote.) I wrote an article for Apache Today about
turning off un-needed services which happened to mention my 494(?) day
uptime someone gave me some feedback about the jiffy issue and a few days
later he was right.

Jeremy C. Reed
http://bsd.reedmedia.net/