InstallFest Status

Author: George Gambill
Subject: InstallFest Status

-------------------------------
The remaining orphans need TLC from a loving parent (champion)
Anywhere you see "___" might be a place for your name!!!
-------------------------------

___________________
Demo:
  ___Blender
  FetchMail
         (FetchMail can be found at http://catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/ )
  ___Firewalling
  Free Software Development: (in .az.us)
    ___(Your Sugestions Go Here)
    ___Familiar
    ___GDB
    ___GNOME
    ___GNUe
    ___KDE
    ___Kernel
    ___Sodi-Podi
  ___GNUe:
         (We have 20 qualified, any volunteers?)
  ___Knoppix
  ___Knoppix for Kids/Debian Jr.
  ___Konq
  ___Licensing
  ___Links (Text based Browser)
         (links is also a text-based browser, but far more capable than
         lynx and generally better. Last I used it for testing web devel
         it had probs with caching. Otherwise it rocks over lynx.  per:
         Der Hans)  (Links can be found at
         http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/ )
  ___Lynx (Text based Browser)
         (Can be found at http://lynx.browser.org/ )
  ___MailScanner
         (It works with SpamAssassin and virus scans. It is an incredible
         tool!)
  ___MySQL
  ___Nautilus
  ___NcFTP
         (NcFTP can be found at http://www.ncftpd.com/ )
  ___OpenOffice.org
         (Demo on GNU/Linux and M$)
  ___Photo Albums
  ___PostGresSQL
  ___Ripping CDs
  ___Ruby - Programmers' Best Friend
         (Ruby can be found at http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ )
  ___Sodi Podi
  ___Viewing FAX(s)
___________________
Giveaways:
  ___CD Lables, Professional Looking
         (Anyone have a talent to create "Professional Looking" CD
         labels?)
  CDs to give away:
    ___GNUwinII
    ___Mozilla 1.0
  ___PLUG Business Cards:
         (Who did these last time?)
___________________
HandOuts:
  ___How to find out what is installed
  ___Putting the box on line at home
         (A guide to putting the box on the air at home - cable/dsl/phone
         setup, etc.)
  ___Where to find Help
___________________
Install
  CD's for Install (Burn)
    ___JAVA (JRE & JSDK)
          (3 sets)
  ___GNUwinII
___________________
Materials:
        (The start of a list.  Let me know which you can bring off-list.
        We will cc the plug list daily.)
  General
    ___Banner Ad, Web Site
          (We need a banner ad for the InstallFest. We want to put it up
          on the web site. See the space next to the PLUG logo for canvas
          size.  Per Hans.)
    ___Easel, Whiteboard, Dry Markers
    ___Markers, Paper, Tape (for signs)
    ___PLUG Banner.
          (Who has this???)
    ___Pens, Pencils
    ___Preprinted Signs
          ("Install Fest This Way" [left, right, straight])
  Good Stuff (Parts)
    ___Extra Floppy Drives, CDROM Drives
          (for folks with recalcitrant hardware?)
    ___Extra Vedio and Sound Cards
          (for folks with recalcitrant hardware)
    ___IDE, Floppy Cables
    ___Network Cards (PCI, ISA)
    ___Power Strips / Surge Protectors
          (Several Folks Please Bring)
    ___Screwdrivers
    ___Spare Keyboards
    ___Spare Mice
    ___Various Converter Plugs, Screws, etc.
___________________
Other Thoughts to Consider
  ___Brief Descriptions of "Essential" Commands
  ___Desk Top Icon to Counterparts to Familiar MS
         (What the counterparts are to the Windows apps they are used to.)
  ___Desktop Icon to Distro OnLine Documentation
  PLUG Icon of Desktop
  Research Desktop Link Address to Doc Page
         (A link on the desktop pointing to an html tour of their system.)
    ___Debian Distro Docs Link Address
    ___Mandrake Distro Docs Link Address
    ___Open Office Docs Link Address
    ___Red Hat Distro Docs Link Address
    ___Slackware Distro Docs Link Address
  ___WTYB Page (what ever that is)
         (The WTYB page could also point out documents and maybe have a
         tour of the new system.  Per der hans)
  ___Welcome to Your Box Intro at Log In
         (What we need is a good "Welcome to your box" intro that
         automagically pops up when they log in.  Per der hans)
___________________
Security Updates:
        (This should also be covered in the 'What Now'. )
___________________
Support Hardware:
  ___LTSP Clients up to 2 more
         (LTSP clients Need no Hard Drive.  32 meg of memory is
         sufficient.  A NIC card supported by ROM-A-MATIC or with an
         Etherboot (TFTP) NIC.  I should be able to come up with a couple
         more Linksys NIC's (if someone has boxes) with boot floppies (or
         onboard etherboot chips) but they require 200MHz of better.)
___________________
Working Computers:
        (Let me know if we have missed any catagories here.)
  ___Firewall Distro
  ___FreeSCO
  ___One With Your Favorite Software Goes Here
  ___With GNOME

-------------------------------
The Clerical Stuff:
-------------------------------

Please reply off-list with additions or corrections.

When replying off-list to volunteer, please let me know how you want
your name presented, full name, first name and last initial, just first
name or even just their email address or nickname. If you provide no
instructions I will use the name provided in the email header (i.e.
ggambill@compu.....) Thanks,

George Gambill <>

-------------------------------
What, When, Where:

What: InstallFest
When: 25 October 2003, 10am-4pm
Where: University of Advancing Technology ( http://www.UAT.edu/ )
       2625 W. Baseline Road
       Tempe, Arizona
       85283-1042
       United States
       Building(s) TBD
-------------------------------

InstallFest Hats Off to:

"Thanks to the following volunteers for making it (the InstallFest) a
reality!"

Alan Dayley       alandd()mindspring!com          Vendors
Alan Dayley       alandd()mindspring!com          Install iPAQ
Alexander Henry   alexanderhenry()cox!net         Hosts: Co-Host.
Augie Grayfox     grayfox78()cox!net              CDs to give away: Mandrake
Augie Grayfox     grayfox78()cox!net              CDs to give away: Red Hat
9.0
Austin Godber     godber()uberhip!com             Support Hardware: Mirror
Host
Bart Garst        bartgarst()cox!net              CDs to give away: Debian
Bart Garst        bartgarst()cox!net              Materials: Waiver Forms
Bart Garst        bartgarst()cox!net              Materials: Stickers, Check
In
Bart Garst        bartgarst()cox!net              HandOuts: InstallFest Menu
betty i           molossermom()ev1!net            Food: Treats
Bruce Pettycrew   bkpettcrew()cox!net             Install Red Hat
Bruce Pettycrew   bkpettycrew()cox!net            CDs to give away:
Slackware 9.
Chris Gehlker     chris()gccodefactory!biz        Install Yellow Dog (MAC)
Chris Gehlker     chris()gccodefactory!biz        Install Debian PPC (MAC)
Chris Gehlker     chris()gccodefactory!biz        Install Gentoo G3 (MAC)
Chris Gehlker     chris()gccodefactory!biz        Install Gentoo G4 (MAC)
Craig Brooksby    azipa()brxb!com                 Hosts: Co-Host
Dennis Kibbe      dennisk()sahuaro!f2s!com        Install Slackware
Dennis Kibbe      dennisk()sahuaro!f2s!com        Giveaways: TUX the
Penguin, Ca
Der Hans          Email Restricted                Publicity
Der Hans          Email Restricted                Publicity Press Release
Der Hans          Email Restricted                Support Hardware: Apt
Cache
Der Hans          Email Restricted                Support Hardware: Squid
Proxy
Derek Neighbors   derek()gnue!org                 Presentation:
Eldric            eldric()cox!net                 Facility Contact (UAT)
Eric Bishop       ebishop()cox!net                Install SuSE 8.2
Gabe Grijalva     linuxgabe57()yahoo!com          Books: Moving to Linux...
by M
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com  Volunteers
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com CDs to give away:
OpenOffice
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com Good Stuff (Parts) Network
Swi
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com Support Hardware: LTSP
Server
George Gambill    ggambill()computer-guidance!com Support Hardware: LTSP
Clients
Marcia Wilbur     aicra()well!com                 Install Dead Rat  ;-)
Marcia Wilbur     aicra()well!com                 Install Debian
Marcia Wilbur     aicra()well!com                 Presentation: Videotape,
Stall
Marcia Wilbur     aicra()well!com                 Working Computers: With a
CD B
Matt the Almighty Email Restricted                General Assistance
Michael Seidner   mikes()mdscomp!com              Demo: GNOME
Michael Seidner   mikes()mdscomp!com              Support Hardware: LTSP
Clients
Michael Seidner   mikes()mdscomp!com              CDs to give away:
Smoothwall
Michael Seidner   mikes()mdscomp!com              Install Smoothwall
Rares Marian      rmarian()linuxmail!org          Install Debian
Robert Ambrose    rna()muttsoft!com               Install Red Hat
Robert Ambrose    rna()muttsoft!com               Support Hardware: FTP
Server
Robert Ambrose    rna()muttsoft!com               Demo: KickStart
Siri Amrit Kaur   tigerflag()despammed!com        Install Mandrake 9.1
Siri Amrit Kaur   tigerflag()despammed!com        Install Knoppix Debian
Siri Amrit Kaur   tigerflag()despammed!com        Install NVIDIA drivers
Siri Amrit Kaur   tigerflag()despammed!com        Demo: KDE
Siri Amrit Kaur   tigerflag()despammed!com        Good Stuff (Parts) Spare
Compo
Steven Cain       scain999()cox!net               Hosts: Co-Host
Ted Gould         ted()gould!cx                   Demo: The Gimp
Ted Gould         ted()gould!cx                   Working Computers: Apple
G3
Ted Gould         ted()gould!cx                   Presentation: GIMP
tickticker        tickticker()cox!net             CDs to give away: Mandrake