the creature from the black lagoon.... or dealing with OS cr…

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: the creature from the black lagoon.... or dealing with OS creep
On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 01:01 AM, der.hans wrote:

> Am 14. Oct, 2003 schw=E4tzte Ren so:
>
>> Let me explain one of my aggravations with Linux...

Youse guys are all woosies! Consider that MacOS has:
1)    A place for programs that Apple manages. Software Update will=20
happily stomp all over this.
2)    Another place for stuff you compile yourself.
3)    A third place were apt-get puts programs
4)    Yet another place where ordinary users are encouraged to install=20=

programs by drag-and-drop.
5)    Some overlap between 1 and 4

Now that can make your head ache at first but you soon learn that with=20=

a few symlinks and some judicious manipulation of your PATH you get=20
very fine control. You can change the personality of your machine just=20=

by swapping .zshrc files.

Now my ideal Linux setup would follow the original Unix model and only=20=

put programs absolutely essential to operation of the machine in places=20=

like /bin or /sbin. Everything else would go under /usr/local/compiled=20=

or /usr/local/apt-gotten depending.

Actual Linux is not that far from the ideal.