GPL Redistribution was --> Re: InstallFest menu - I need fee…

Author: Kevin Brown
Subject: GPL Redistribution was --> Re: InstallFest menu - I need feedback
>>> I'm sorry but simply telling somebody verbally that they can get the
>>> source in the same ways that I can get the source while I hand them a
>>> binary is a clear violation of the GPL. I got the binary off some
>>

>> I don't think it is. If you can actually point them to a place to
>> download the source of what binaries you are giving them (or provide a
>> written commitment to provide the source upon request) AND you are not
>> exchanging money (i.e. non-commericial) I dont think you have violated
>> anything.
>
> I'm not sure I completely agree here but I won't turn you in. ;-)

From what I understand, nothing in the GPL says you can't charge to provide the
source code. If we burn disks for people it is not unreasonable to ask that
they reimburse you for the cost of said materials. This is how places like
cdrom.com can charge you $5 - $10 a distro.

>> In the case of Gentoo install you actually are getting the sources in
>> the case of Debian you can actually add apt-get lines to point to the
>> sources of the binaries you are installing. I think this more than
>> sufficiently covers section 3 in the case of PLUG.
>>
>> For other distributions I am not as confident, but I would be suprised
>> if there isn't a way to grab Red Hat sources.
>

> I'm not concerned about Gentoo and Debian. RPM style distros are
> different. If you get a boxed set, there are clearly labeled 'Install'
> and 'Source' disks. Red Hat itself, back when they sold boxed sets,
> never provided the Install disks without the Source disks. This is
> actually what bothers me, though honestly it only bothers me a little.
> If we say to some newbie, "Here are Red Hat binary CDs. We will be happy
> to hand them to you or install them on your computer. BTW if you want
> the source you only have to find it on the web and spend 4 days
> downloading it over your dial-up connection." it does get a little
> problematic. I'm sure you can see that.

So bring a system with a burner that has the binary and source isos on it. If
the user wishes copies, they pay $1 - $2 for the discs (not a per disc charge,
but a per distro might be fair) and they get CDs right there at the installfest.