iPAQ is... (Was: RE: Distros at installfest)

Author: Alan Dayley
Subject: iPAQ is... (Was: RE: Distros at installfest)
The iPAQ refers to a line of hand held computers created by Compaq, now HP. There are several models with different capabilities. Look here for more information about the hardware: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/prodserv/handheld.html

The iPAQ comes from the store with a version of the MS Windows OS (Window CE or the more recent Pocket PC). Enterprising geeks rightly concluded that the hardware was quite capable of supporting Linux and began working on porting the kernel and applications to the iPAQ hardware.

There are two main Linux distributions that run on the iPAQ, Intimate Linux and Familiar Linux. I have not used Intimate so I can't comment there. Familiar runs well on the two units I have already installed and the "palmtop" environments are very advanced, ie. look useful and cool. I will be helping to install the Familiar Linux distro on iPAQs, for those that want it. So really the distro name is Familiar and iPAQ is the hardware it runs on.

For those that really want to know more about Linux on an iPAQ, go to http://handhelds.org. A very active community lives there.

Alan