Sun JSDK versus others. WAS: Re: Installfest menu - last cha…

Author: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Sun JSDK versus others. WAS: Re: Installfest menu - last chance to review
On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 01:57 PM, liberty young wrote:

> That paragraph was in response to a previous post where it was stated
> that the JSDK was 'crap' on Linux compared to Windows. I was simply
> saying, from personal experience, that it isn't.

Just to set the record straight, I said I thought it was a little
better supported on Windows than of Linux or Solaris. The word 'crap'
was only used to characterize the Java experience on MacOS. I had
fairly extensive experience with Java on all those platforms about the
time Java was moving from 1.1.8 to 1.2.

My point, perhaps a minor one, was that liberty was extolling the
x-platform virtues of Java and I was simply observing that it was
unclear to me how much of the credit for that should go to Sun. It has
seemed to me that Sun is great at marketing that Java 'runs everywhere'
but that the credit for that should be shared with a lot of folks.