linux - bsd issues ?

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: linux - bsd issues ?
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Nathan England wrote:

> Do any of the BSD freaks on this list have problems compiling any linux
> software? I understand there is the linux-threads ports or whatever, but I am
> curious if everything is compatible...

I am a BSD developer. I am a pkgsrc developer. (pkgsrc is the third-party,
contributed software build mechanism for NetBSD and usable for many other
operating systems, such as AIX, HP-UX, BSD/OS, Linux, Darwin, Mac OS X,
IRIX, et cetera. I have added many Linux programs to pkgsrc for use on
Linux systems too, such as util-linux, shadow suite, sysklogd, et cetera.)

I have compiled and ported many Linux programs to BSD. Some of the common
issues are using the correct audio development headers and devices, using
Linux-kernel headers, using getpwnam versus getspnam, et cetera.

The FreeBSD ports, OpenBSD ports, and NetBSD pkgsrc contain instructions
for building thousands of Unix-like programs.

Software normally under Linux builds and works fine under BSD too, such as
Linux-PAM, GNU coreutils, QT3, KDE, et cetera.

In addition, the BSDs provide Linux compatibility (which is basically a
system call mapper) so Linux binaries can run.

Do you have a particular Linux program you are interested in?

Jeremy C. Reed
http://bsd.reedmedia.net/