Mozilla 1.0 and enigmail

Author: KevinO
Subject: Mozilla 1.0 and enigmail
Lee Einer wrote:

> I am trying to get enigmail working with Mozilla 1.0.1 on a Mandrake 8.2
> OS, and am having no end of grief. The error I am getting (from the
> About Enigmail page) is "Warning- Enigmime module not available! Error-
> failed to access Enigmail service- IPC Service/Process info not
> available! Enigmail version 0.63.3 was installed from the Mandrake RPM
> successfully with all of the dependencies, as was enigmime. GPG is also
> installed.
>
> I know that there are some issues if one attempts to use an Enigmail
> version built with a different compiler than was used for the Mozilla
> version, but these are both from the same official Mandrake 8.2 CDs, so
> that should not be the case here.
>
> Any suggestions? RTFM has been fairly useless- the one suggestion which
> was given was to delete the components.reg file from the mozilla
> directory, so it would automatically rebuild and capture any new
> components. The results were spectacular but undesired, as it totally
> hosed mozilla, which required a complete reinstall.

My best advice is:

# urpme mozilla (let it remove galeon and everything else it wants to.)

Then install mozilla, downloaded from mozilla.org. Run mozilla as root, (just
long enough to do the this step) and let the auto-install feature auto-detect
and offer up the two correct modules. Install these from here and everything
will be most current and match.

Mandrake 8.2 just reached end-of life. You are on your own for updates now anyway.

I have found, on my Mandrake boxen, that it is better and easier to just swap
out /usr/lib/mozilla, keep backup copies for plugins or whatever, and install
new versions directly from mozilla, then to wait for the older rpms from Mdk.

- --
If Microsoft built cars, If you were involved in a crash, you would have
no idea what happened.

KevinO