xmms user can't access CDROM

Author: Emmanuel Gravel
Subject: xmms user can't access CDROM
On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 08:29, Alex Munro wrote:
> ... Then I switched over to my user
> account, fired up xmms, and I couldn't see the files
> on the CD. It's a standard, commercially produced
> audio CD.

Just so you know, this almost certainly isn't a part of
the problem.

> I googled on this and found references to looking into
> /dev/CDROM instead of /mnt/CDROM, however, I don't
> have /dev/CDROM, but I do have /CDROM. Switching back
> over to my root account I find this is where I
> accessed the CD. As user this directory is blank(I
> have not removed the CD at any point in this process).

Think of /dev/cdrom as a device driver, not as a part
of the filesystem (you won't access any files on the
cdrom by trying to go to /dev/cdrom). If you look in
/etc/fstab (do a cat on it) you should find which device
is being used to access the cdrom. Mine looks like this:
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0

If I look at what /dev/cdrom is (I did an 'ls -l' on it)
here's what I get:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 9 2001 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

where /dev/hdc belongs to my main user under the group
disk (not root, just me, since I'm the only one using my
system).

Once you find a similar line in /etc/fstab, you should
look at the permissions and ownership on the device that
lets you access the CDRom. My guess is the problem's there.

> My user account is in the CDROM and Audio groups, and,
> checking permissions on the cdrom through Konqueror, I
> have read, write and enter permissions.

Do you have read privileges on the directory or the device?
For an audio CD, you shouldn't even mount the CDRom, I don't
think, so permissions on the device are what matters.

Let us know what you find out!