glibc install help

Author: tickticker
Subject: glibc install help
My gcc is out of whack, everything else is spiffy. I'm compiling gcc as I type this.

Thanks for the help, going good so far.

anthony

From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <>
Date: 2003/09/25 Thu PM 05:32:46 EDT
Subject: Re: glibc install help

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, tickticker wrote:

> I'm in need of install the latest glibc on a RH7.3 server. However, my
> mojo does not appear to be strong enough. My guru is not in town and
> I'd like to have this up by 4 or 5 pm.

Not possible if building from source unless you have a fast system. The
build can take anywhere from two hours to 15+ hours.

> Does anyone have any experience with this? The directions are somewhat
> puzzling and when I run ./configure --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads I get:
>
> configure: error: you must configure is a seperate build directory.
>
> huh? I just need the quick and dirty instructions if you have them.

Make sure you have gmake>=3.79 and GCC 3.2 or higher. You also need
binutils and gettext libraries.

Go into extracted glibc source directory

extract the glibc-linuxthreads tar ball

cd ..

make a directory .. mkdir glibc-build

cd glibc-build

../glibc-2.*/configure --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads

gmake

when done .. install to separate directory for testing so you don't kill
your system:

gmake install install_root=/your/path/to/glibc-installed

gmake localedata/install-locales install_root=/your/path/to/glibc-installed

When all is tested, copy that (preserving permissions) over /

Good luck.

Jeremy C. Reed
http://www.reedmedia.net/