PIC Micro MCU ???

Author: Ed Skinner
Subject: PIC Micro MCU ???
On Linux, my company (RyteTyme, I'm the founder) uses "picl" (PICC L=
ite C=20
Compiler [assembler, linker, etc.] from Hi-Tech Computing), and "picp"=20
(CosmoDog) to interface with the PicStart Plus programming module (from=20
MicroChip). When our needs exceed the capabilities of the PICC Lite compi=
ler,=20
we will almost certainly upgrade to their commercial (we pay for) product=
s=20
which support a much wider range of PIC processors. [At=20
http://www.htsoft.com/, look for "The PICC Lite has been updated. Click h=
ere=20
to download our FREE compiler."]
     We chose this particular set of tools to satisfy the following=20
requirements (in no particular order):
1) write *all* software in standard C including interrupt handlers;
2) compatible with Makefile-based development;
3) use any source editor;
4) little or no fee;
5) Linux-based.

     An additional goal of "100% open source" limited us to writing in=20
assembly language as we found no decent C compiler in the open source are=
na.=20
After an initial trial, we abandoned the idea of writing everything in=20
assembler -- it was just taking too long to get things done. (And portabi=
lity=20
to other devices at this level was a strong requirement.)
     We have not found a simulator that performs to our satisfaction. At =
the=20
moment, that is not a decisive factor but we recognize it would almost=20
certainly save us some development time and would, therefore, be economic=
ally=20
beneficial. (See next paragraph.)
     The PicStart Plus programming module (from Microchip) was about $200=
 and=20
came with a Windows-based development environment which we tried, found t=
o be=20
very nice, but not what we wanted: it doesn't do Makefiles and doesn't ru=
n on=20
Linux. We use the programming module but not the software from Microchip.=
=20
(The simulator is very good, by the way. In a "pinch" we have cranked up=20
Windows and this software solely to use the simulator and ferret-out some=
=20
problem.)
     We looked at other programming modules but couldn't see the total=20
integration of tools, from compiler through the programming module, with =
any=20
programmer other than the PicStart Plus device.
     One compiler we looked at (and whose name escapes me) was decidedly=20
non-standard. Our rejection of their product was immediate and came from =
the=20
gut.
     Portability of source code when working very intimately with the=20
hardware, as is common with PICs, is questionable. We've attempted to=20
standardize on some macros to hide the details (such as setbit(number),=20
clearbit(number) which bury the "port" distinction) but, of course, until=
=20
we've actually ported to a different architecture, there are probably som=
e=20
surprises waiting for us.
      Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.=20
     Ed Skinner