another type RAM......

Author: Kurt Granroth
Subject: another type RAM......
On Thursday 11 September 2003 01:29 pm, wrote:
> Many of you must work on-- or have access to-- several projects with
> incompatible licences. How do you manage to prevent cross-pollenation of
> the codebases by remembering what you've seen elsewhere?

I don't see any problem here. Copyrights and licenses only apply to specific
usages of code. So as long as you don't copy code from one project to
another, you'll be fine.

I can see the argument coming that "what if you learn how to code something in
one project and apply that knowledge in another (incompatible) project?" If
this was an issue, then you would never be able to use ANY knowledge you
learned from ANY job or project since you have no way of guaranteeing that
your knowledge has the same license as the new code.

Now you *do* have to tread carefully around proprietary code that contains a
lot of "intellectual property". If, for instance, I was working for
Microsoft on the SMB/CIFS code and then went off and did Samba in my spare
time, I would likely expect to get fired and sued very quickly. That would
be because of the IP theft and not because of copyrights or licenses, though.