press release 1.2

Author: der.hans
Subject: press release 1.2
moin, moin,

here's the updated press release with suggestions from Ted and Jeremy. Below
it is a diff for those of us who prefer looking at diffs to find differences
:).

###
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: <???>
Email:
Phone: <???>

Phoenix Linux Users Group (PLUG) offers installation of Free Software to the
public.

On Saturday, October 25, from 10:00 to 16:00, PLUG invites the public
to attend a no cost Linux InstallFest at the University of Advancing
Technology, <UAT addy>. This is an opportunity for people who are currently
unfamiliar with GNU/Linux to learn more about it, and if they choose,
install it on their own computer (PC or Mac) with the help of experienced
Linux users.

There will also be no cost presentations on Free Software and how to use it
effectively for work or home.

GNU/Linux continues to receive impressive adoption among governments and
Fortune 500 companies alike. It has become a critical part of any IT
professional's toolbox. Many adoptors site usability, applications, and
total cost of ownership as reasons for adopting GNU/Linux. After losing
several contracts Microsoft is now considering GNU/Linux one of its top
competitors in the desktop market.

Linux is the core of a free operating system that includes software from
projects such as GNU, GNOME and KDE. It can be installed as the lone
operating system or alongside another operating system on the computer.

"The GNU/Linux system is a stable, secure operating system that isn't
susceptable to email, web or document viruses," said der.hans, CEO of AZOTO
(Arizona Open Technologies Organization). "AZOTO is proud to help user
groups promote the use of Free Software," he continued.

Come see Knoppix, a GNU/Linux distribution that runs right from CD without
using the hard drive. Knoppix allows people to try GNU/Linux without it
affecting their hard drive or requiring an install. PLUG uses Knoppix for
GNU/Linux classes.

There will also be demos of the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) which
can provide 20 fast workstations for under $2000, OpenOffice.org's office
suite and the GIMP drawing program.

These tools are all Free Software, guaranteeing people and companies the
right to use the software as they wish. Free Software can be freely copied,
modified and examined. Computer experts consider these freedoms essential
to computer security and believe they provide more robust systems than
proprietary software vendors.

Attendees interested in having GNU/Linux installed on their computers should
bring their computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Those who connect to the
Internet using a dial-up modem should bring the modem as well.

PLUG ( http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/ ) is an informal group with several
meetings a month in various parts of the Phoenix metro area. The meetings
are open to everyone and there is no cost. PLUG also has an active
discussion list for helping people use GNU/Linux.

AZOTO ( http://www.AZOTO.org/ ) is an Arizona-based non-profit dedicated to
promoting the use of Free Software and Open Technologies in the state of
Arizona.

University of Advancing Technology ( http://www.UAT.edu/ ) ...
###

###
10,14c10,15
< On Saturday, October 25, from 10:00 to 16:00, PLUG invites public and
< press to attend a no cost Linux InstallFest at the University of Advancing
< Technology, <UAT addy>. This is an opportunity for computers users to
< receive expert help in installing GNU/Linux, a freely available operating
< system, on their personal computer or macintosh.
---
> On Saturday, October 25, from 10:00 to 16:00, PLUG invites the public
> to attend a no cost Linux InstallFest at the University of Advancing
> Technology, <UAT addy>. This is an opportunity for people who are currently
> unfamiliar with GNU/Linux to learn more about it, and if they choose,
> install it on their own computer (PC or Mac) with the help of experienced
> Linux users.

18a20,26
> GNU/Linux continues to receive impressive adoption among governments and
> Fortune 500 companies alike. It has become a critical part of any IT
> professional's toolbox. Many adoptors site usability, applications, and
> total cost of ownership as reasons for adopting GNU/Linux. After losing
> several contracts Microsoft is now considering GNU/Linux one of its top
> competitors in the desktop market.

24c32
< susceptable to email, web or document viruses.", said der.hans, CEO of AZOTO
---
> susceptable to email, web or document viruses," said der.hans, CEO of AZOTO

26c34
< groups promote the use of Free Software.", he continued.
---
> groups promote the use of Free Software," he continued.

29c37,39
< using the hard drive.
---
> using the hard drive. Knoppix allows people to try GNU/Linux without it
> affecting their hard drive or requiring an install. PLUG uses Knoppix for
> GNU/Linux classes.

41c51
< Attendees wishing to have GNU/Linux installed on their computers need only
---
> Attendees interested in having GNU/Linux installed on their computers should

###

ciao,

der.hans
#  If determining good culture is left up to busybodies and politicians,
#  we will be left with culture fit only for busybodies and politicians.
#                                                -- Jeff Taylor, Reason