Postfix hellp

Author: Don Calfa
Subject: Postfix hellp
Now I have a fairly good concept of mail, processes, etc. This postfix
thing eludes me. I don't want to use sendmail because of the bad aura
that surrounds it.

I've heard that postfix is supposed to "work" once it's started. The
only thing it does is work from the localhost. The docs say that the
default is to trust the subnet but that is false. From what I've seen
on various BB's around, I'm not the only one but the answers given
either didn't exist or were still cryptic. Postfix site and docs say to
use !file|name and $mydomain but that doesn't tell me anything. They
might as well say to use batteries and glass.

I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction that gives me direction
being that postfix has kept me in circles really hard this weekend. I
haven't had a need for any type of *NIX mail since I've had my mail on
M$ servers. I'm ready to kill that but right now, I'm not so sure. I
thought I could grasp this rather quickly which is why I've waited for
so long.

I'd like to see some examples of cf files if possible. $mydomain
doesn't mean anything to me. Am I supposed to take that it means that
$mydoman resolves locally, $mydomain is really the variable $mydomain,
or I substitute my site1.com in place of $mydomain?

My DNS is perfect. This postfix thing is the only thing keeping me
behind.

Here is what I would like to accomplish. I have 2 servers, 1 home
based, the other at an ISP serving websites. I'm runing RH8 and 9

Home based server, have it become the SMTP server for all local clients.
So far, only the localhost can do it. Seems rather simple but I've
spent 1.5 days on that.

For the other server:
receive mail for multiple domains
deposit mail for users in the proper accounts
( is different from )

Thanks if anybody can help.