mountpoint and ability to write files to mountpoint

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: mountpoint and ability to write files to mountpoint

------=____1062698487252_03guEkk_Y8

Sorry this is a newbie question.

When a mount point is created at say /sdb and then mounted and a file is copied to /sdb it is going to be put on the device that is mounted to /sdb

What if it is not mounted yet and then when the copy is made it is just being copined to a local folder on the hard drive and not the optical-magneto drive that /sdb actually refers to

How can one make a mountpoint where they can only write to it when it is mounted, is it just a permissions issue?

Also how can I check what is really on the optical magneto disk? I can do a ls on /sdb when it is mounted although is there another way to do this, I just do not want mixups with thinking that the files that ls is reporting on are on the optical-magneto disk while in reality they are just in the folder /sdb on the local hard drive

Jim

------=____1062698487252_03guEkk_Y8

<DIV>
<DIV>I have an older version of Red Hat (6.?).&nbsp; Trying to use samba to backup work related folders on Windows NT.&nbsp; The sum of all files is in access of 2 GB.&nbsp; Is there a setting or just a limitation of samba or the kernel that prevent large file creation?&nbsp; I know in UNIX you can go into the SAM (System Admin Menus) and change a drive to allow large files, is there something similar in linux.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Chris</DIV></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>