domain names, web standards, etc

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: domain names, web standards, etc
On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:11:19PM -0700, Don Calfa wrote:
/_One reason for having just one domain (domain.com vs. www.domain.com) is
/_for search engine ranking. Most if not all optimized sites will have a
/_301 from the root domain to point to the www so that only 1 site is
/_listed and not 2 sites for the same content. Having 2 or more sites
/_with the same content penalizes ranking in search engines.
/_
/_If you're curious, rip the headers off google.com and yahoo.com for an
/_example.

OK, now we are flushing out some reasons. Where could I read more
about your search engine reasoning? Why penalize? What if I had three
domain names all pointing to the same place? Two are for mispellings
of the first....are you saying I would be penalized? Where could I read
more about this?

Not sure what you mean by "rip the headers off..."
google.com & www.google.com take me to the same place -> http://www.google.com