backing up the MBR

Author: Craig White
Subject: backing up the MBR
On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 18:05, Alan Dayley wrote:
> anthony hologounis wrote:
>
> >I need to reinstall windows 2000 on hda1.
> >
> >My Linux stuff is on hdb and I use grub as the boot loader.
> >
> >I am thinking all I need to do is backup my MBR, perhaps with dd. dd
> >if=/dev/hda of=saved-mbr.bin count=1 bs=512
> >
> >Reinstall win2k onto hda1 and then recover the saved-mbr.bin. Reboot and
> >? it all works? right?
> >

> >Anthony
> >

> No. Win2k will not work if you do this!
>
> Follow the instructions here:
> http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
>
> It has worked for me.

----
hmm...this actually doesn't answer his question but perhaps you are
suggesting that this was the cause of his problem.

Anyway, I have a Sony PictureBook (C1X)

has Win2K and RH 8.0 installed on it.

grub is indeed installed in MBR and haven't had any issues with it -
understood why AV software is paranoid about the MBR but it would seem
that a grub stage 1 installed into mbr is safer than NTLoader

Craig