another apt question

Author: der.hans
Subject: another apt question
Am 20. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte Bart Garst so:

> Does 'apt' have the ability to tell me which files belong to what package=

=2E
> The rpm equivalent of 'rpm -qpl' or 'rpm -qf'.

dpkg -L <package>

That will list the files in an installed package. Some files are created on
the fly and aren't necessarily listed, though.

dpkg -S <string>

That will list installed packages that have files that match string. You
can give path info to limit the matches.

http://packages.debian.org/

Several options. Search contents of all packages in debian.

apt-file search <string>

Careful with this one. The updates download multiple multiple MB files.
This, however, searches all of the packages in the repositories you're usin=
for matches. In other words, this even searches packages you don't have
installed. Generally use packages.debian.org, but apt-file can be handy if
you have unofficial sources that properly maintain packages files.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,
#  as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. - der.hans