Debian upgrade woes continue

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Debian upgrade woes continue
Mike Starke said:
> In addition to my vmware failing to start any longer, I
> can not get thru a upgrade (normally runs on cron).
>

> Normally, I just wait a few days, do another 'apt-get update', and the
> offending packages have been "fixed" and I continue on my merry way.
> This paticualr message has persisted for over a week. And, I still have
> no vmware (gcc problem?).
>
> Any ides on how to fix?

If you are running Sid or Sarge you probably should NOT be cron jobbing
updates. They are called Unstable and Testing for a reason. :) If you
pay close attention to what lies beneath you can avoid problems by
upgrading during "safe times". Right now a new version of GCC is going
through Debian (iirc). I suspect this is your vmware problem (as win4lin
is sufferring too). Python
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200308/msg00361.html)
is also getting ready to transition through. These are MAJOR packages and
generally upgrading anything depending on them is a no-no until the
process is complete.

-Derek