How to move Move /home

Author: Thomas Cameron
Subject: How to move Move /home
Once you've created /dev/hdb1 and mkfs'd it (you did use -j, right?),
mount it temporarily:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 /mnt/tmp

Then to get all the permissions and such, I'd use tar:

cd /home
tar c * | tar xf - -C /mnt/tmp

Then check to make sure it went correctly. Compare the two below:

du /mnt/tmp
du /home

If you are *certain* you got a good copy, you can delete the contents of
/home to free space.

If they went OK, then change /etc/fstab so it looks something like this:

/dev/hdb1 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

Finally, mount it:

mount /home
--