Debian Kernel

Author: Miles Beck
Subject: Debian Kernel
Quoting Marcia Wilbur <>:

> Hi,
>
> You can always delete the kernel before or after you install the new
> kernel... preferrably AFTER.
>
> You could do the update and dump the backup kernel. It's not one that would
> usually be used anyways.

Right. But if there is a problem with the current kernel and I have a bad backup
kernel that will not boot...then that is a problem.

> To remove the old kernel (once the new one is in)
> If you are running lilo..
>
> 1. edit lilo.conf first
>
> If you don't know how to edit lilo.conf maybe someone at the meeting can
> help. Comment out the selection for the bad kernel and then make sure
> default doesn't point to it. Theres a default keyword that points to that
> image. How bad is your situation? Are you able to get into the machine?

I can get into the machine with the backup kernel. The other kernel gives a
panic error. I installed the wrong kernel on this machine thinking it was a
security update to the then current kernel.

> (um, just how old *is* your kernel...maybe 1.this.kernel.sucks?)

The working kernel is 2.4.18-bf2.4.

I don't know enough to feel safe in working on this myself. If I hose the system
and then cannot boot from it, that would be bad as I do not have the knowledge
to fix it myself.

FastQ Communications
Providing Innovative Internet Solutions Since 1993